Wednesday, April 17, 2013

New Addition to the Wengert Family

Our Little Lambs

I have been waiting for this day for the LONGEST time! Since lambing season started at Dallin's work, I've been able to go with him and watch these adorable little lambs be born. Sometimes the mother will have two lambs and only want one of them or does not have enough milk for both babies. In that case, the other lamb is given away and is often called a "bummer" lamb. It needs to be bottle fed in order to survive. WELL...I figured....since they just give them away and all....maybe Dallin and I could parent one or two.

Month after month has gone by waiting for our St. Croixs to start lambing! Now that they've started lambing just about everyday I ask Dallin or Dave (his boss) when there will be a bummer ready for! They both assured me soon enough, but I must admit I was beginning to lose confidence. 

Finally, Dallin called me from work and said there was a St. Croix whose mom didn't have enough milk for her and Dave gave the okay for us to come get her. I was so excited that I got off the phone and ran to Petsmart and got a little dress and collar for my new little lamb. She was about a week old at this point and I couldn't wait!

I wasn't kidding... :)

I had her little sleeping area all ready to go and pick her up. It was a little harder than I thought it'd be taking her away from her mother so I had to keep telling myself that she would die or be terribly undernourished if I didn't take care of her and feed her.

WHY RETHA? Well we knew if we could get a couple lambs we wanted to name them after our grandmothers that had passsed away. Dallin's Grandma Wengert, Retha, had a little bummer lamb that used to follow her around when she was younger so we thought that was very fitting. My Grandma Mann, Eleanor, was called Dolly which is also the name of the first cloned lamb-also fitting.

This is after our first night with Retha, which I have to admit, was a lot harder than I thought it'd be. She cried through much of the night and I just felt like she wanted her real mom! I thought if we are going to keep her we need a companion for her.

So cute!

It just so happened that later that day Dallin called and said another St. Croix was born and the mother didn't want her! She hadn't even licked her up after she was born. I was ecstatic! He brought her home with him.


Their first moments together.

We had to get Dolly cleaned up!

It wasn't long before they naturally bonded and cuddled up to one another. So cute!

The next night went so much more smoothly. We said goodnight and didn't hear from them until early morning when they were hungry. Like two peas in a pod. 

We had to keep them barricaded in the kitchen since technically we weren't allowed to have them in our apartment and because that was the only uncarpeted area in the house. They had a lot of messes. We had them in our house for a couple weeks, until they didn't need to be fed so often, and went through probably 20 rolls of paper towels. As sad as I was to see them go back to the farm, I was glad to have my kitchen back!

We took them with us everywhere. This is how they traveled in the backseat of our car.

Ty and Levi had a blast feeding the lambs. It was so cute!

They loved to cuddle up and sleep in my lap.

They loved Lance, too.

My tired girls.

More traveling. 

Keato just didn't want to say goodbye!

Sometimes I'd take them on the back porch to play while I studied, but eventually they'd wind up in my lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment